About Me

My photo
U of M Dearborn COMP 106 student.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Research Proposal

Samantha Shanaberger

COMP 106

09-23-09

Right to Work Laws

Forced unionization is currently being debated due to high unemployment rates and the economic recession. While some states are pushing for Right to Work laws, which outlaw mandatory unionization, I plan to research the benefits of Union states. Union representation is largely better for employees, and overall better for the States’ economies.

I hope my survey will be taken by various age groups and occupations so my results represent the general public’s opinions. My goal is to phrase the questions and answers in a way that the survey takers are able to form their own opinions and express them accordingly. The questions in my survey are about whether unions are good or bad for global markets versus local ones, their willingness to join a union, as well as issues such as monthly dues and the media’s portrayal of unions. I hope to yield supportive results so I won’t have to adjust the survey too drastically.

I plan on interviewing an adult who has been or is currently in a union. This way, they can express both the benefits and detriments of being in a union from first-hand experiences. Hopefully, hearing testimonial from such an interviewee will educate readers on union’s benefits. I plan on asking questions about instances where the union stepped in to deal with company issues, about dues, meetings, benefits, being informed by union-heads, and about their overall experience with their respective union. Although I face problems such as good arguments on both sides, and the difficulties of researching a large national issue, I hope to be successful in showing that mandatory unionization is actually the better choice.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=KfdmWt4UCJBGHxTtkhrF9g_3d_3d

3 comments:

  1. The survey was good. I personally don't like unions but there is a long story behind that lol. You might want to ask your self what type of direction are you going in with these type of questions? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The survey was good. With the questions where only one answer would make sense maybe you should change it so that the person can only click one answer. When I went to change my mind on a question I didn't realize at first that it kept my first answer too. But this is a good survey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Survey was well constructed. I liked the variety of questioning and the response boxes so that you can get a better understanding, instead of just a yes/no. Great job, keep thinking of 5 more questions you could add for later

    ReplyDelete